Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Favorite Izakaya - Part 1

One (of many) of the things that I enjoy doing in Japan is visiting an izakaya. These are wonderful places, basically made for drinking, but with food substantial enough to make a meal. The thing that makes them wonderful is their intimacy. These are often small places where everyone knows everyone else including the owner/cook/bartender/server, all often the same person.

Meet Shie-chan. She is the owner and operator of an izakaya that has been doing business in Yokosuka for 90+ years, and all of that time in the same family.

The name of her izakaya is 坂戸屋 (Sakato-ya). Shie-chan is herself something of a wonder. She serves, depending on what is available, wonderful meat and fish dishes as well as the best yaki-udon that I have ever eaten. Her broiled seafood, especially her buri, is like butter. Smooth and rich with all of the delicacy that you expect from seafood. She serves a beef steak that is tender and rich in flavor. It is cut thin in the Japanese manner, but is delicious. (A note: expect the Japanese manner. Except for the time that I took a friend with me, I am the only westerner that I have ever seen there.)

If you spend any time at all in Japan, check out a local izakaya. Don't be part of an American or tourist ghetto. Make friends. I have made several friends at 坂戸屋 and was invited to participate in a community event that I will post about soon.
じゃあね

4 comments:

Shie said...

Hello I'm Shie
Day before yesterday thank you
enjoy time enjoy singing

And very good oishii TURKEY
TURKEY-サンド I like

この英語でわかるのかな
おかしなところは正しく教えてくださいね

Shie said...

Hello I'm Shie
Day before yesterday thank you
enjoy time enjoy singing

And very good oishii TURKEY
TURKEY-サンド I like

この英語でわかるのかな
おかしなところは正しく教えてくださいね

Shannon said...

I just found your blog. Could you tell me where this izakay is? I'm writing a guide book to living in Yokosuka and am always scouting out new places.

Thanks

Photios said...

Shannon,
Sorry about the delay. I was unable to blog for a long time.

Sakato-ya is just three doors to the southwest of the 7-11 on Yonagahama-dori in downtown Yokosuka. Google Maps even has it labeled.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=35.278858,139.672574&spn=0.001198,0.00309&z=19

The street view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=35.278983,139.672772&spn=0.001209,0.00309&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.278983,139.672772&panoid=20cABR0uMjiNpwr061GlkQ&cbp=12,201.02,,0,0

It is the green building.

+Photi